[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

  • From: "Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:13:15 -0600

>  Are we sure this is a good solution?
>
>  I thought that the network layer was only a temporary solution until native
>  drivers were available on Haiku.
>
>  How about instead start porting some drivers to Haiku without the layer?
>  Just asking.

This was done in the case of ethernet drivers because they're usually
relatively small and self contained. For other classes of drivers
you'd probably have to extend the compat layer to cover significantly
more of the FBSD kernel's services, at which point reimplementing
those in haiku terms would likely be more work than to just use the
BSD driver as a reference to write a native one.

Rene