[haiku-development] Re: Disable BView antialiasing

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:02:35 +0200

Hi,

On 2009-09-24 at 04:54:34 [+0200], Jack Small <jaxs@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2009, at 12:39 PM, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > It's actually only
> > cosmetic in this particular case, but it definitely looks a lot worse
> > than the original jaggy rubber bands (which one never actually noticed
> > as such because they only appeared fleetingly)!
>
> On the Mac to do these effects I often use a temporary second transparent
> overlay window on top of the primary window.  Then I can draw and erase
> without worrying about what may be underneath.  It's a really easy way to
> put controls on top of movies or other complex backgrounds.  Is this
> possible in Haiku?

Somewhat yes. I twisted some of the effects of B_DRAW_ON_CHILDREN views to
behave like you describe. You can see this in action when you drag the
DeskCalc or ActivityMonitor replicants onto the Desktop. However, I believe
the compositing options of MacOS X are much more powerful and flexible.

> I like the StrokeAliasedLine route inside the view.

I don't like introducing a whole new set of methods. I'd rather have a
toggle switch that affects all existing methods without a lot of fuss. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan