[haiku-development] Re: Disable BView antialiasing

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:39:32 -0700

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 09:44:15AM +0200, Stephan Assmus wrote:

> On 2009-09-23 at 08:12:52 [+0200], pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > It seems to me that the current situation is something of a mistake. I'd
> > bet mine isn't the only app that uses B_OP_INVERT and breaks! I'd have
> > thought that StrokeLine et al should behave like their BeOS prototypes,
> > and there should be StrokeAliasedLine etc, or such, for the new behaviour.
>
> So current apps would start out to look even more dated? Have you read any
> of the comments that the articles about our alpha release have received? I
> cannot believe you guys would ditch this nice new feature because you are
> too lazy to adopt your BeOS for this one problematic situation. :-( I even
> already explained what the solution could be, and it would be very simple.
> Anyone of you could have implemented it in the same time it took to read
> and write these emails.

But that isn't really the point, is it?  One of the basic goals of Haiku R1
as I understand it, is to have BeOS apps "just run".  Changing a fundamental
scheme like that is bound to break things.

Of course, if I'm writing a nice flashy new Haiku app, I'll use the
better drawing with great pleasure.  And I'll also naturally eventually
get round to updating older apps, but that can't be done 'today', and
meanwhile I'm left with a somewhat broken one.  It's actually only
cosmetic in this particular case, but it definitely looks a lot worse
than the original jaggy rubber bands (which one never actually noticed
as such because they only appeared fleetingly)!

Cheers,

-- Pete --