[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:14:35 +0100

Hi,

Meta-discussions...

Am 27.03.2014 15:00, schrieb Jonathan Schleifer:
Am 27.03.2014 um 14:24 schrieb Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
Why do you even start a discussion when you are not prepared to
face different views both on what makes the most sense, what is
needed and how to implement it technically?

I hoped to get technical feedback on the design with suggestions on
how to improve it, getting potential flaws pointed out, etc. Not to
start a general discussion about whether we want security or not.

Your perception is completely different from mine: You did not have to defend your desire for security. You had to defend what you think is the best way to achieve more security. There is a big difference! In other words, you misrepresent the discussion on technical details as a discussion on the need of security in general. Maybe that's because you regarded most arguments as resulting in no effective securtity at all, while you were inable to accept others pointing out just the same kind of flaws in your own line of thought.

The replies from Ingo and Axel were indeed appreciated, however, the
discussion quickly turned out to be more of a general "Security is
pointless, don't bother us with it" thread, which really completely
destroyed my motivation on making Haiku more secure. If I'm the only
one really caring about security, I might as well give up, especially
if people clearly state they don't want any security.

Please point out in the thread where anybody said security is pointless. People don't want to live with certain restrictions. Some of which seemed to be implied by your design, like an encrypted disk. That just means that some of this stuff needs to be optional or have ways for the user to override. That's all.

Best regards,
-Stephan