[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:03:27 +0100

Am 26.03.2014 um 21:54 schrieb Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Plain and simply, I find the sheer amount of paranoia displayed by you
> surrounding both SecureBoot and all the package signing entirely
> excessive, and simply resulting in unnecessary busywork and annoyance
> for both the end users and the relatively small pool of people
> handling the porting work.

For users, it would be purely optional. And I would do the work.

> Having to supply 4 different hashes for
> every package

You don't have to, it's two hashes (RMD160 + SHA512) plus size. MD5 is going to
go away, as discussed before. And thanks to oltas change, you get a nice
template you can just copy. So it's even less work than it was before with just
MD5.

> and distrusting e.g. downloading source from github is
> from my standpoint absurd.

Why do we even have checksums for the tgz files then? We download the sources
without certificate checks.

> If I was really that paranoid, I'd be
> running an entirely different platform geared solely towards these
> issues from the ground up. So yes, I'm entirely serious.

Well my hope was to add enough security to Haiku that I feel confident enough
to trust it with my SSH key, starting with the things easiest to exploit. But
since I get so much opposition to that, I'll drop it and have to life with the
fact that Haiku will never be able to be my main OS. I won't always have the
time to build everything from source, meaning at one point, I'll only be able
to run Haiku in a VM. *sigh*

--
Jonathan