[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 13:28:55 +0100

Am 27.03.2014 um 04:02 schrieb SMC.Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> +1 (this is actually the only email I really read :P)
> Y'all would do well to read
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater if you haven't already.
> -waddlesplash
> I read that article and it rings of unix concerns, concerns mainframes at
> banks have. Here is what users want, a OS they can install on hardware , vm
> etc, and to not have to be hassled with constant certificate updates,
> passwords etc.
> Sean

I deleted the branch now as people are clearly offended by even only having the
minimum level of security that even Windows offers since Windows XP (optionally
signed executables, optionally signed drivers, signed updates) - and that was
introduced 14 years ago - and prefer to repeat the security disaster of Windows
98. Users wouldn't even have noticed that packages are signed unless they
installed a hpkg from a 3rd party without using a repository, but clearly,
people feel offended by even the thought that there is cryptography involved
that makes sure that the updates you install are actually from the vendor…

So, the branch is gone and we can drop this thread now.

--
Jonathan