[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: "Mark A Hayes" <markarnold@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 17:10:39 +0200

Tuesday, September 09, 2014 at 4:54 PM from "Stephan Aßmus"
<superstippi@xxxxxx>:

> Equally curious: Why do you need the 64-bit version?

In my day job I do video editing. Nothing advanced, but everything takes time.
I assume Haiku, like the venerable BeOS, will be good at media editing.

At least on Windows 7/i7 4-way, there is an enormous boost in processing
performance on 64-bit vs 32-bit, partly because the app can virtually allocate
16GB or more (I have 24 GB ram on my production machine) as well as twice the
CPU bandwidth... important since not everything in video processing can be
shipped to the GPU.

Cheers
m.a