[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: "Mark A Hayes" <markarnold@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 18:25:13 +0200

Tuesday, September 09, 2014 at 5:28 PM, "Stephan Aßmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> If you have 24 GiB RAM installed, it is only a couple times
> more than the address range limit you would have had with a
> 32-Bit app.

Six times, not a couple of times. It's a pretty significant difference in
practical use :)

> Having said all that, there is unfortunately no capable
> media editing app available for Haiku. Clockwerk is currently
> too cumbersome to use and I am not aware of any other capable
> software which works on Haiku.

I understand, but hopefully that will change.

Part of what I do is write "posixy" post processing tools. On *nix I just do an
mmap64 and apply the transformations and filters. Extremely efficient.

Does Haiku aim for posix compliance by the way? That would make it easy to port
our videofx library (it's a 64 bit only, C/posix terminal lib)

Cheers
m.a