[geocentrism] Re: Fruitless arguments

  • From: geocentric@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 15:35:12 +0100

Dr. Neville Jones wrote:
> geocentric@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> This is pure nonsense. You try to scientifically validate your
>> faith and then deny the utility of science when your "proofs" are
>> shown to be >wrong.
>
> No, you are totally mistaken. My faith in God does not need
> "validation" from science or anything else. I am perfectly happy
> taking the Bible as it is written. I do not need to scientifically
> check it out.

Not for yourself maybe, but that is exactly what you are trying to do
never the less.

> If your "science" is so good, it will stand up to my assault. You
> don't need to get too worried about it. If your "science" has a flaw,
> though, then it will be shown up eventually. It does not matter
> whether I am the one to do it, because I am not interested in any
> personal glory - I seek only to bring glory to God.

First off, it is not my science.  Secondly, I'm sure it will stand up to
your assult.  Thirdly, you're absolutely right, if there is a flaw it
makes no difference who demonstrates it and the demonstration will lead
to an even better science.  That is the beauty of science, the better
the attack you can make on it the stronger it becomes.

> There is a Scripture that comes to mind, though: "Even so faith, if
> it hath not works, is dead ..." (James 2:17, KJV).
>
> Should I, being a physicist, not try to find the flaw, given what I
> so firmly believe? Or should I just sit back and let someone else try
> and do it?

No, you should keep on trying--some of the most fervant skeptics became
so by trying to reconcile their their faith with science--but you should
not pretend that science is just another faith, and you should not
pretend that all scientists are as unobjective as you are.

Regards,
Mike.