[geocentrism] Re: 666

  • From: "Martin G. Selbrede" <mselbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 18:07:52 -0500

On May 24, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Allen Daves wrote:

The angel in Daniel Ch 10:. Note it is given in the third year of Cyrus ..........Ch 11:1 is given in the 1st year of Darius the mead...

Allen, this is the FIFTH time I'm calling you on you to read the passage. Fifth time. Please don't make it a sixth and seventh. Chapter 11:1 is NOT given in the 1st year of Darius the Mead -- the Angel is still in the middle of his speech to Daniel, which he began to speak just minutes earlier in the middle of Chapter 10, which on your own admission is dated to the third year of Cyrus (as Chap. 10:1 clearly states). You're looking at the Angel's comment about when he first started to act, and you then assume that the comment provides the date he's speaking to Daniel. No. The comment is INFORMATION the Angel is giving to Daniel about when the Angel had acted YEARS EARLIER.

If I say, "On August 3 of 2002, I pointed out to Fred when I graduated from college. It was in May of 1974 that I graduated." -- it doesn't mean the second sentence was uttered in May of 1974 -- it was uttered on August 3 of 2002. THIS is what you keep missing, five times in a row. Please read the passage continuously, from Daniel 10:1 through the beginning verses of Chapter 11. I'm begging you this time: "redeem the time, for the days are evil." Surely you can spare several minutes to crack open a Bible and read through this sequence and see WHO is talking and WHAT he is saying and to WHOM he is saying it. I know that if you actually look at the passage, you'll see the mistake you keep making.

As far as the Great Tribulation (thlipsis megalae), there's no question in my mind that it occurred in the time frame you describe (the siege of Jerusalem led by Titus, and all the events surrounding that overthrow of the city). So I'm not disputing that one iota. I'm disputing that Dan. 9:25 refers to this period. The fact that Dan. 9:26 refers to the desolations as being decreed/determined isn't disputed either. We're on the same page there. But there is no basis for the gratuitous stretch to make the troublous time of v. 25 refer to the later events -- Herod died while Jesus was still young, and there was no wall-building going on after Christ was cut-off. There is ZERO fit here. So, as I said, while I agree with your general position, your details are garbled and not arranged correctly.

I already acknowledged (in detail) the nature of the construction project that Herod imposed on the temple. This was NOT a restoration, because there was nothing wrong with the temple architecture requiring any restoration whatsoever. Zech. 4:4-10 teaches that Zerubbabel would bring forth the capstone thereof with shoutings crying Grace unto it -- not Herod. What Herod did was strictly a vanity project -- to make a name for himself by being able to boast that the temple was refurbished by him. NOTE that Nehemiah and Ezra turned down having any Edomites (Idumaeans, as Herod was) work on their projects. Herod's tampering with the temple the Jews had rebuilt was unsolicited, unnecessary, and an outrage (second only to the murder of the male infants of Bethlehem). But further fortification of the city walls was NOT allowed by the Roman procurators: the last thing they needed was for Israel to revolt and hide behind battlements any more enhanced than they already had since Nehemiah finished the perimeter. (Israel ultimately revolted anyway, and look where it got them.)

Martin