[gameprogrammer] Re: OTP: deleting porn

  • From: Angel Rodriguez <rodrigua5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:11:29 -0700 (PDT)

How about Linspire (Lindows)?  Your daughter will not need to learn anything.
Linspire is easy to install, and looks and feels just like windows.  The web
browser is mozilla which can be updated for free to include all the plugins
that she might need for her research through the web.  It also comes with an
office suite from Debian which can created read and edit files created by
MSOffice and Corel office.  I create M$Word docs and M$Powerpoint docs at work
for college courses, then I can edit them in linspire.  I use linspire because
it is easy for my wife to use, but has all the power and stability that I need.
   I think this OS is great, and the gui looks very much like windows, so the
windows users will not get lost.  If your daughter needs the pc for college,
than you can't beat a Monetarily cheap OS with free office that works with more
stability Than M$.  (My opinion, I have only been using Linux(on PCs) and
SunOS(on sparc/Usparc) for the past three years).

Angel D.
grant hallman <unilogic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 10:39 AM 26-08-04 -0300, you wrote:
>Paul Smith wrote:
>> Just another suggestion, BillP studios have a free piece of software
>> called something like Scotty the Windows Watchdog. What it does is
>> tells you:
>
>Many, many problems of this kind will go away if you just trash IE and
>Outlook and use Mozilla, Firebird, Opera and Thunderbird for instance.
>Not counting resources Firebird/Mozilla/Opera have like trabbed browser,
>pop-up blocking, etc.
>Even better, trash windows, use Linux, BSD or MacOS and be happy :)
>
>[]s
>
>Adilson.

I have a good deal of sympathy for this position. If someone can convince
my poor and computer-averse daughter to learn Linux, UNIX, etc. and upgrade
to a Mac, in the middle of preparing for her Masters' thesis in a 3-year
programme crammed into 2 years, i'd be very surprised. In fact this is a
micro version of the larger reason Linux has made such slow progress in the
vacuum of user-frieendliness created by Windoze. People haven't the time
nor patience to learn totally new stuff just because it's "better".

cheers - grant