Re: Whatcha using?

  • From: "Eric D. Zamir-Zimmerman" <eric@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:55:36 +0200

Well, the name is more Jewish - Germans usually spell it with two n's - Zimmermann.
I can also muddle in German and Spanish, but I'm fluent in English (obviously), French, Italian and Hebrew.
My wife swaps - muddled French and fluent German, native Hebrew and fluent English, almost mother tongue after hanging out with me for a while.
The amazing thing is that my son, 9 years old now and in the fourth grade, arrived here last year in the middle of the school year, speaking no Italian.
So, after part of the spring semester in third grade, the whole summer back in Israel, and here from September on, he now speaks, reads and writes Italian fluently, which is his third language, after Hebrew and English! Cool!!! I am so proud of him.
Before arriving in the U. of Bologna Med. Faculty, I practiced law for 20 years, primarily in NY.
My most important weapon (aside from my mouth) was, of course, my fountain pen!!!
E.
PS - I wasn't concerned about being understood. I was concerned about my own failure to vary my word-choices. But it's 1:00 am here.
Off to bed I go!

On 10 May 2006, at 0:45, Roger Beamon wrote:

On 10 May 2006 at 0:34, Eric D. Zamir-Zimmerman wrote, at least in part:

Wow, three different ways to use "grow" in two sentences - nothing
like a large vocabulary. I just saw my entire education, student
loans, etc., flashing before my eyes on their way down the toilet.

Not to worry. Like Luxury Blue, the word "grow" is understood by nearly
anyone with only a small grounding in English.

Someday, tell us about yourself. I suspect that you are U.S. born, but your
name implies ability in German and you're in Med. school in Italy, so I guess
you are fluent in Italian (don't think they run their schools in English for our
benefit).

I'm in awe of multilingual people, only being able to stumble around in
schoolboy German and Spanish; far from fluent, though!

--
Roger Beamon
Southern Arizona  USA