[ExchangeList] Re: Connector

  • From: "Allen, Christine" <Christine.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:59:43 -0400

Thanks so much!

  _____

From: exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:exchangelist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jason Sherry
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 9:25 PM
To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ExchangeList] Re: Connector

The 2003 SMTP protocol is based on the SMTP service provided in Windows 2000
and higher.  Exchange expands the functionality of the base OS SMTP service
and moves all (except really specialized metabase changes that are normally
only done when troubleshooting) administration into Exchange System Manager
(ESM).  The E2k3 SMTP service also support additional ESMTP commands,
support for Intelligent Message Filtering (IMF), SenderID, RBLs, better
filtering, better admin, more flexibility, and more.

Incoming mail is controlled by your MX records.  Routing cost will control
which server sends the messages outbound, unless you have one configured to
use the other as a smart host.  By default outbound mail from 5.5 users will
be sent out by the 5.5 server (due to routing cost).  I don't recall for
sure but think that if you don't configure a SMTP connector on the E2k3
server it will continue to send mail out though the 5.5 server.  So once you
get your directory prepared (ADC, etc) for E2k3 and setup your E2k3 server
you need to setup an SMTP connector on it so it will send (This can be done
with the Internet Mail Wizard).

It's been awhile since I've done 5.5 work so my response might be subject to
some rusted synaptics J

Jason Sherry
Messaging Architect, MCSE: M, Microsoft MVP