[elky] Re: Valve Cover Gaskets

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:56:29 EDT

I don't like using the cork gasket, after scraping pieces off  the head for
what seamed to be forever, I'll never use them again.
     Even if a gasket set says no sealant,  put plenty of RTV on both
sides. Like John said.

-Smoky Mt Frank-

In a message dated 3/29/2010 7:34:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I am in  love with the center bolt valve covers on the El Camino. They
never leak. The  P/O put an older style 4 bolt 350 in the Monte, and they seep
all the time.  (Just like the old ones on the Elky did). If the factory ones
are straight,  then use them, just put RTV on them on both sides of the
gasket, but clean the  heck out of the surfaces first. That is the only way I
know how. If they  aren't stright, then put them on something straight, and
hammer them in to  submission, then get some of those heavy metal strips that
spread out the  pressure. That worked for me as well as anything, but the
perimeter bolt valve  covers always leaked on me.

Good luck with the project! Anything will be better, right?

JC
133d0d2310
---
John  Christensen
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 _http://www.myelcamino.net_ (http://www.myelcamino.net/)
Saint  Charles, IL
133d0d2310

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Dann Keller <_kwhale22@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:kwhale22@xxxxxxxxxxx) >  wrote:

Hey, all;

Any advise re the type or brand of valve cover  gaskets to get?  Mine are
leaking a little more than I want to put up  with.
1983, 305 SB; not a performance rig by any means.
Dan

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. _Sign  up  now._
(http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/210850553/direct/01/)