[elky] Re: Valve Cover Gaskets

  • From: Chris Lindh <chrislindh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:02:09 -0400

I think it's harder to seal old iron heads since the flanges have rusted and
they are uneven.  I use cork but I RTV the gasket to the valve cover, not
the head.  (I use the form a gasket in the cheese whiz container - it's
expensive but it works) I have aluminum heads though, so the flange is
straight.  I've taken my valve covers off a few times and I just bolt them
back on with the same old cork gaskets.  If they're leaking it's not enough
for me to notice.

I also agree with John, use the spreader bars.  I use stamped steel covers.
4 valve cover bolts is too few... at least on the perimeter, center bolt
covers are better.  I would recommend a serious gasket like a Fel Pro blue,
but I'm not sure they're worth the cost.

Check out these cool valve cover bolts I will be selling (see attached).
One of those Why-Didn't-I-Think-Of-That products...