[elky] Re: Valve Cover Gaskets

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 06:34:35 -0500

I am in love with the center bolt valve covers on the El Camino. They never
leak. The P/O put an older style 4 bolt 350 in the Monte, and they seep all
the time. (Just like the old ones on the Elky did). If the factory ones are
straight, then use them, just put RTV on them on both sides of the gasket,
but clean the heck out of the surfaces first. That is the only way I know
how. If they aren't stright, then put them on something straight, and hammer
them in to submission, then get some of those heavy metal strips that spread
out the pressure. That worked for me as well as anything, but the perimeter
bolt valve covers always leaked on me.

Good luck with the project! Anything will be better, right?

JC
133d0d2310
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net