[elky] Re: Floor the 28th - Non

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:48:04 -0800

pretty! looks like cherry but the hardness is a big feature. They are using knotty alder here which is very nice looking, but its a really soft wood. http://www.knottyaldercabinets.com/kitchen-and-bathroom-cabinets

it's kinda like knotty pine with personality. I would still like nice maple finished light (but not natural, I hate that, always looks unfinished) with some nice dark walnut trim. I wanted doors made 'wrong' with the dark wood across the bottom and the side pieces the short ones but everyone I mentioned it to looked at me like I was crazy. When closed the doors would make a dark 'stripe' across the cabinets top and bottom. I do not know what you cannot make the doors with the long sides across and the short sides vertical.

oh well.

Mary

Speaking of kitchens... And hard lumber. Here is a kitchen built from Bloodwood. It's very nice stuff, just need a clear coat. Extremely hard, dulls tools quickly and very hard to put a screw into. It will split extremely easily. I thought bloodwood might be a little overwhelming in a kitchen but this is nice. I bought some bloodwood recently for a cross for the prayer room in the church we are finishing up and it was about $8 a board foot. This guy bought 400bf for this project and paid $10bf delivered. So 4K just in rough lumber. One poster mentioned it's a 100K kitchen and that's a little low actually.