[elky] Re: Floor the 28th - Non

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:56:13 -0600

pretty!  looks like cherry but the hardness is a big feature.

         If you have a woodcraft or rockler stop in and take a look at the
bloodwood. It's nothing like cherry. Cherry is basically like poplar with a
red hue over time and stains blotchy like maple and birch. Bloodwood has
reflections at different angles due to the high silica content also why it
dulls tools fast. Very heavy stuff too.

>  They are using knotty alder here which is very nice looking, but its a
> really soft wood.
> http://www.knottyaldercabinets.com/kitchen-and-bathroom-cabinets

             I;m starting to see clear and knotty alder more often. I like
clear alder for a secondary wood in furniture but the knotty variety looks
like pine. Clear alder is the poormans cherry and often used and sold as
cherry but they get to double or more their materials off it from the
unknowing.

             Some like the knotty alder look but most think it looks cheap.

> it's kinda like knotty pine with personality.  I would still like nice
> maple finished light (but not natural, I hate that, always looks
> unfinished) with some nice dark walnut trim.

          The walnut trim or other would make it look better. I'm not a fan
of maple though I do like working with it. It's just too plain. No figure
just looks too much like sticker wood. Now birdseye maple is different. I
have thought of doing birdseye veneered doors for the kitchen. I can do
that cheaper than a typical hardwood door as well.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_eye_figure

>  I wanted doors made 'wrong' with the dark wood across the bottom and the
> side pieces the short ones but everyone I mentioned it to looked at me like
> I was crazy.  When closed the doors would make a dark 'stripe' across the
> cabinets top and bottom.  I do not know what you cannot make the doors with
> the long sides across and the short sides vertical.
>
> oh well.
>
> Mary

                  Well the reason the doors are made that way is for
stability. The panels won't hold together as well especially the hinge
pocket issue.

            You could build a conventional door and then veneer the face to
do that. Or if it's all veneered door the core is just MDF and you can do
anything you want.