[elky] Re: Floor the 28th - Non

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:33:28 -0600

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Brian M <ctsvmongo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm jot sure how this hickory would look like a warehouse floor?

             Hickory/pecan (The wood police let you sell either under the
hickory name as pecan is a hickory).. ANyway it's been very popular for
decades for use in warehouses and machine shops. It's hard durable and
cheap.

> But its not what I think of, when I think of hickory cabinets, which are
> usually very colorful with knots and variances.

          Hd got a load of knotty hickory cabinets in. Sitting in the
middle of the aisle. Not moving at all here. It doesn't do well here cause
it looks too much like sticker wood and allot of old wood paneling.

> This flooring is very consistant, compared to the cabinets I've seen(which
> is cool too)   oak is stainable but each peice will take stain differently,
> and each section of a piece will as well, so its hard to stain a dark color.

                Oak is extremely easy to stain evenly. Try staining cherry
or maple. They are all over the board with blotches. Course if you are
using minwax or varathane stain or pretty much any stain from a home
improvement store you will be very upset at the finish. Minwax stain is
just oil and a drop of color in a can. Now Ash is used in allot of the
country for cabinets etc and it has a much more pronounced grain than oak
and is very hard and very difficult to stain evenly.

>   Dark cherry stained oak cabinets just don't look right most of the time,
> and cherry is real expensive, so we see maple and birch stained whatever
> color your heart desires, it takes stain very consistantly and holds up
> relatively well, costs about half of cherry.

            To get maple and birch to stain evenly you basically have to
seal the grain and then the stain sits on top of that sealer so you loose
some of the texture you would get with a typical stain. They can look
really good but to get it right takes more time than building the unit.

>  I have a gee high quality clear alder bedroom set, it is solid wood and
> amazing, a gift from my whole family for putting myself thru college and
> getting my degree in business mangement.  It's got a clear coat on it, very
> pretty wood, but way too soft, it dents so easily and it kindof drives me
> crazy cause I can't have things not right.  Dents in my dressers... Ok
> again I'm crazy.

                    Yeah there are a number of woods I really like but they
are just too soft for most people. As long as you don't touch it you are
fine.... Don't see much alder and it's softer than yellow pine...

                                     Robert Adams