[elky] Re: Floor the 28th - Non

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 08:58:43 -0600

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 5:42 AM, John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We ordered the floor, and it will be installed on the 28th. Then we can
> move on to the cabinets. In the mean time, we will be working on the wood
> trim for the beam in the front room in Oak. It's gonna cost us more, but I
> don't want 10 different kinds of wood in the house. Nate is pushing to go
> with white painted trim around the windows and floors. We'll have to look
> at some pictures and think of the color to decide on that. The sliding door
> is already white trim, and that may be the way to go. It's more
> contemporary anyway.

                       Wish I was closer. I'd be more than happy to help
out. Just a few miles too far from the shop. Got more than enough oak in
the shop to do what you need including build new cabinet doors...

                           Speaking of kitchens... And hard lumber. Here is
a kitchen built from Bloodwood. It's very nice stuff, just need a clear
coat. Extremely hard, dulls tools quickly and very hard to put a screw
into. It will split extremely easily. I thought bloodwood might be a little
overwhelming in a kitchen but this is nice. I bought some bloodwood
recently for a cross for the prayer room in the church we are finishing up
and it was about $8 a board foot. This guy bought 400bf for this project
and paid $10bf delivered. So 4K just in rough lumber. One poster mentioned
it's a 100K kitchen and that's a little low actually.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=5673525&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

> I found a picture online that looks like what the floor will be like.
> Woven (stranded) bamboo toast. This stranded stuff is supposed to be really
> hard.
>

> How hard is it you ask? Chart:

              No comment on how hard the wood is. Maybe Frank can comment
there. :)

> Some of the stuff I have read about on the forums that is not stranded
> really is renewable ...... the cheap stuff grows!

                    Well Bamboo is actually a grass. Had some in Hawaii. It
grows so fast you can almost see it grow. Yes it really grows that fast and
I'm not talking about wood Frank...

                    Mesquite is another really nice flooring that's very
hard. It's quite expensive usually because mesquite grows more like brush
and rarely into a trunk of any size. A friend had a couple big trees stolen
off his property a while back. My cost on mesquite flooring is $6-$6.50 sf.
What I would like to put in the kitchen though is IPE. It's beautiful stuff
when cleared and very hard and heavy (no comment needed Frank).

> I should be finishing the heater hook up over the weekend. I have the gas
> pipe almost to the unit, and I still have to put the vent through the roof.
> That may take a little longer. The electrical shouldn't be that bad. I have
> to get help for that.
>
> JC
> ---
> John Christensen
> 1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
> NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
> Saint Charles, IL
>  ---
> John Christensen
> 1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
> NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
> Saint Charles, IL

                               Since you have to run everything in conduit
there I'd just run BX. Just depends on weather you have a J-box near by or
have to do a home run. BX is easy to work with if you have a BX cutter.
Without one you will hate it.

                           I have to figure out what to do for heat in the
shop. Will probably end up running a gas line from the house to it. Need
150' or so of pipe and a long trench. Easy digging cause it's sand but
where I want to run it I think the remnants of the septic tank are there
and I don't want to chip through concrete too much.
          A friend has propane for his house and we were talking about a
heater for his garage... After a little figuring of propane cost and usage
we came to the conclusion that propane cost nearly exactly the same as
electricity and a heat pump would be cheaper to run.