[elky] Re: Floor the 28th - Non

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:44:59 -0600

               What I find frustrating is that people say they want cherry
or walnut or whatever then you ask them what color they want it. They go
silent... People now because of mass produced crap associate a type of wood
with a color. When they say cherry that means a form of red same with
mahogony and dark brown for walnut and they all assume oak is light in
color. Funny thing is 99% of the stuff out there is made from red oak and
just stained a color and people see that color and think cherry.
              It's really hard to get people to understand that the color
is the stain not the wood type. In the church project people keep asking if
it's cherry and no it's not except for the crown moulding which is very
nice cherry but once stained is indistinguishable from oak to the general
public anyway.

          I like hickory flooring but it isn't popular here cause it looks
like a warehouse floor. I saw allot of hickory flooring in Ohio.Gives the
refurbed farm houses a ski lodge feel. So much is regional as well. Here
there is everything not many current trends other than travertine tile is
popular cause it looks good and it's relatively cheap compared to some
tiles.

              Robert Adams