[ebooktalk] Re: BOOKS OF MY LIFE

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:26:06 +0100

One of the reasons I continue to love re-reading LOTR Elaine is that there is a
brilliant reading of it in the RNIB talking book library by David Banks.  He
avoids many of the cliches and stereotypes in terms of finding voices for the
characters.  True, Sam remains a bit of a yokel but the Orcs have a kind of
Yorkshire menace rather than being cocknified yobs and his Smeagol is every bit
as inventive as Andy Circis's in the Peter Jackson movies.  Don't know whether
it would turn any avowed Tolkien disparagers, But this would be a good reading
for a newby to start with.

As for Gabriel wolf, he would certainly be one of the readers of my life.  A
very early radio memory is of him reading ring Of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell
and that must have been in the mid or late 50s.  Incidentally, he is also
responsible for the RNIB reading of The Hobbit and makes a rather disappointing
job it in my view.  Other readers of my life would include the legendary david
Davis, Bernard Cribbins for a magnificent Winny  The Pooh in the 1970s and,
more recently David Thorpe, a reader of great versatility and inventiveness.