[ebooktalk] Re: BVOOKS OF MY LIFE

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:50:15 +0100

I'm sure some of you will think this very predictable and disappointing, and,
of course, if I was asked to draw up the same list in six months time, I'd come
up with something a little different.  But here we go and I'll fill in some of
the background and detail  for my choices.

1.  The Lord Of The rings:  J R R Tolkien - like many of my generation I
discovered Tolkien in my teens during the 60s.  There are other books I read
back then such as For Whom The Bell Tolls, Catcher In The Rye and Catch 22
which simply no longer work for me.  But I re-read LOTR at least once a year.
I appreciate all that's wrong with it - the master servant relationship, the
slightly old fashioned values, the literal denegration of black, but it remains
a story which never fails to chime with me.

2.  F Scott Fitzgerald:  the Great Gatsby:  the first book I ever chain read.
that's to say, like a cigarette, as soon as I'd finished it, I started again.
The sense of suffocation and frustration coupled with the mystery (or not)
surrounding Gatsby himself combine to make this possibly the most perfect novel
ever written.

3.  A self compiled anthology of 20th century poetry:  this would include the
Georgians, WW1 poets, eliot, the protest poetry of the 30s, poems from WW2,
philip Larkin, on through the beats and Liverpool scenes and up to ~John
cooper-clark and beyond.

4.  John le Care:  tinker Taylor Soldier Spy:  Having gone through institutions
all my life, I find his evocation of the inner workings of the intelligence
service utterly convincing, although it may well be total hooey.  Smiley is a
central character without compare and le Care's style is perfectly suited to
the subject and genre.

5.  Alan Clark: Diaries 1983-91:  No-one takes you quite inside politics like
Clark.  I hate him as a politician and despise him in many respects of his
life, but no-one takes you inside politics, and particularly Tory politics like
he does.