[ebooktalk] Re: BOOKS OF MY LIFE

  • From: "Elaine Harris \(Rivendell\)" <elaineharris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebooktalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:51:06 +1000

Okay, my list as of today; some of it will no doubt change as time passes
and more books are accumulated.

Watership Down. Richard Adams. Read it, bought it and read it again. Poetic
descriptive prose; characterisation, plot, humour. The best thing he has
ever written.

Goodnight Mister Tom. Michelle Magorian. (Same reading pattern as above.)
re-read it at least once a year; still makes me laugh and cry. Challenges
assumptions on just about everything, including assumptions and, like the
best so-called children's books, can be read on many levels.

(Much-discussed on this list.) Wolf Hall. Hilary Mantel. Superlatives are
unnecessary.

Bleak House. Charles Dickens. My favourite of all his writing. Should I ever
be called upon to do a public reading of his work - apart from the excerpt
from A Christmas carol" read to a school gathering last December - it would
be the opening chapter of this book. Evocative, cynical, breathtaking.

This is where it gets difficult so I will add a series of fifth options and
hope I never get marooned on the proverbial desert island.

If it was a Harry Potter, it would either be HP and the Goblet of Fire or HP
and the Deathly Hallows. My two favourites. They are the two I am likely to
re-read most often.

My short long-list of books vying for position with HP, and I know this is
cheating, are:

"My Dear I Wanted to Tell You", Louisa Young.

"The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood", Rebecca Wells.

"The Robber Bride", Margaret Atwood. (I can re-read that without scaring
myself half to death.)

Isn't it wonderful that we're all so different!

Elaine