[duxhelp] Re: 10.5 and BrailleNote

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:37:23 -0400

Dave,

It's an interesting suggestion -- and, for what it's worth, more something
to bandy about with me and Mike.  Caryn writes the scripts, but has nothing
to do with the SETUP program.

I'm more inclined to think that we ought to reflect upon a way to do at
least one of the following:
  1. Prompt before overwriting any DBT.JSS that we didn't write here, but
otherwise write to all JAWS locations, or
  2. Backup any JAWS scripts that DBT's SETUP does overwrite -- and tell the
end user that we've created the backup.

The way SETUP "sprays" these macros across different JAWS installations is
by design, and I do believe that it will be helpful to a great many people
who aren't as able as you are to tweak things to their satisfaction.  In
other words, we're aiming to make it so that the fully automated case serves
best those who need it most -- people without much computer savvy.

However, I do appreciate that we don't want to destroy work that others have
done.  This is particularly pressing in the case of JAWS macros, because, if
I don't miss my guess, people often update them directly in the installed
location, and may not generally have up-to-date backups of these files.

So, what do you think of the counter-proposal?