[duxhelp] Re: 10.5 and BrailleNote

  • From: Dave Durber <dadurber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:40:22 -0400

Hello Karen:

I have three versions of Jaws installed on my computer.  The reasons
why I have that many are too wide and various to explain.

when I installed the various versions of DBT 10.5 beta onto my
computer I noticed that if you selected to have the JAWS scripts
installed as well, DBT 10.5 made the assumption that because it saw
JAWS 3.7 4.51 and 5.0 on my computer, it had the right to install the
scripts into all three versions of JAWS whether I wanted the program
to do that or not.

This caused me a problem, because I had written a couple of scripts of
my own for DBT.  So, obviously, when I launched DBT 10.4 to finish
some files to be transcribed and embossed, to my surprise, I suddenly
found that my scripts in JAWS 3.7 and 4.51 had been overwritten,
therefore my own scripts which I had written were no longer available
to me.

When I checked the date of the file named "DBT.JSS" I found that the
date stamp was April 2004.  The date stamp of my "DBT.JSS" file was
July, 2003.

May I suggest that DBT's installation should search for versions of
JAWS that might be installed on a computer and if it finds more than
one, then the program should prompt you as to which version you want
the JAWS scripts to be installed.  You could present a list box from
which you can make the selection.  In this way if you have a version
of JAWS which may have a set of DBT scripts which was written by a
third party, they would be protected from being arbitrarily
overwritten by the DBT scripts that come with the DBT program.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber