[ddots-l] Re: some opinions

  • From: "Phil Muir" <ddots@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:53:10 +0100

The Tascam ones are excellent.  They are class A.  However, I would like some
more inputs and therefore will be purchasing some Focusrite OCTOPRE pre-amps.
I will also be purchassing the 24/96 ADAT Board  and a BNC wordclock cable to
plug these into the FW1884.  I managed to get the pree-amps with the ADAT card
from Absalute Music over here in the UK for £600 which, is a fantastic price,
especially when you consider the Digital Village are doing the pree-amps for
around £545, and the ADAT board for £105.  Not only that, the guys at Absalute
are going to send out the pree-amps with the ADAT board already fitted.  I am
very glad about that as the manual, recommends 3 hadns to do the job.  Also,
Herman has these pree-amps and tells me that it took someone over 20 minutes to
fit the card into his set.  More information.

Providing eight pristine discrete channels of Focusrite Class A mic pre and
compression, OctoPre routes directly to any digital audio workstation via
analogue
outputs or a new 24-bit, 96kHz A/D converter. There are two digital option
boards available for the Octopre, the 24/96 ADAT Board with one ADAT optical
out and the 24/96 AES/SPDIF/ADAT Board with AES and SPDIF on a 9 pin D-sub
connector and ADAT optical out. The new OctoPre offers the unique qualities
associated with the Focusrite name at an affordable price.

Each channel also features a revolutionary compressor / limiter circuit,
providing a warm-sounding compressor, which morphs into a brick wall limiter to
avoid those critical overs, ensuring total control over all eight channels.

The mic pres featured in OctoPre those featured elsewhere in the award winning
Focusrite Platinum range. They are a transistor-based Class A design utilising
the same full-bandwidth philosophy as the legendary Red and ISA mic pres,
ensuring detail and clarity without colouration. The first two 'super channels'
also feature phase reverse, as well as TRS jack inputs on the front fascia for
quick and easy, DI-free instrument plug-in.

Output can be either analogue or digital; choices include 8 balanced analogue
outputs, or an optional A/D, (8 AES, S/PDIF and ADAT lightpipe digital outputs.)
An external Wordclock input is also provided (BNC connector.) The AES-EBU and
S/PDIF format outputs all operate at up to 24bit /96kHz and can run
simultaneously
with the lightpipe outputs, giving up to 16 channels of digital output for
sample rates of 44.1 and 48kHz, at 16, 20 or 24 bit dithered.

With Class A Focusrite processing and almost all the interface options known to
man, the Platinum Octopre is the perfect partner for any Pro Tools system
or any other Digital audio workstation, making high quality, multi-channel
recording easy. Equally it could be utilised as an instant location recording
solution, or as an additional set of mic pres for any analogue or digital
console, or hard disk recorder.

Regards, Phil Muir
P J Muir Productions
Music And Audio Production