[ddots-l] Re: some opinions

Actually it's easy to do this.
I use channels 1 through 4 (tracks 1-4) for my instruments, whatever I'll be
using. I will usually put the main instrument (usually some kind of piano)
on track 1, bass on track 2, and any other accessory instruments, say pads,
organ, synth etc on channels 3 or 4. If I need more instruments, depending
on the song, I'll add them to track 5, 6, etc. Usually, I would use channels
9-16 (the last 8/bottom row on the motif) for prerecorded stuff, whether it
b drum tracks, percussions, basslines (if the song will use them etc).
Now, since this is in pattern or song mode, since I usually use the motif
along with another keyboard/controller, I can set the motif to a track, and
set the controller/keyboard to output on another channel, which would then
reproduce the other instrument on the motif. So if my motif is on track 1,
and my controller sending data out of ch2, I can play piano on th motif, and
bass on the controller, assuming that it's patched to track 2. It takes
seconds to setup once you get the hang of it!
What I'm trying to do now is copy a performance to a pattern, or make a
split voice of my own, say a voice that consists of bass/piano split, just
so that I can play 2 instruments on the motif, and use the controller for a
third sweetner instrument, like strings, pads, organ, clav etc.
I love my motif for live use!  I just wish the ES8 had a tempo tap feature.
Another thing I do if it's an easy/simple song I'm doing, is setup a
performance, with a bass/piano split, and use the 5 arp buttons to load drum
pattern phrases or make my own and use them there... Works well for R&B
grooves or simple ballads, where the drums are streight forward.

HTH, D!J!X!

  _____