[ddots-l] Re: (No Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:13:46 -0000

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:48:14 -0500

That is not overly difficult.
After driver updates, checking for conflicts like that is usually the next step in troubleshooting hardware problems. Let's define the main term being used, IRQ. Here's an explanation from the web:

An IRQ (<http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/definition/IRQ>interrupt request) value is an assigned location where the computer can expect a particular device to interrupt it when the device sends the computer signals about its operation. For example, when a printer has finished printing, it sends an <http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/interrupt>interrupt signal to the computer. The signal momentarily interrupts the computer so that it can decide what processing to do next. Since multiple signals to the computer on the same interrupt line might not be understood by the computer, a unique value must be specified for each device and its path to the computer. Prior to Plug-and Play (<http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/definition/Plug-and-Play>PnP) devices, users often had to set IRQ values manually (or be aware of them) when adding a new device to a computer.

If you add a device that does not support Pnp, the manufacturer will hopefully provide explicit directions on how to assign IRQ values for it. If you don't know what IRQ value to specify, you'll probably save time by calling the technical support phone number for the device manufacturer and asking.

So, the take away here is that each device needs its own IRQ value - think of it as an address.

At 11:28 AM 11/11/2013, you wrote:
the poast in which the solution is is below.

This type of error/exception (c0000005) is 'usually' access oriented indicating that two or more things are trying to write to the same memory space. We got this a lot when we updated our video card here at the studio. A current driver download helped but did not completely solve the problem untill we moved the Audio Card Interface off the same IRQ as our Video Card. We are using a seperate firewire adaptor and the PCIe slot it was on was sharing and IRQ with the video. Go to /control panel/system/hardware tab/ device manager/view/choose resources by type/choose 'interupt request (IRQ) This will show all of your avaliable IRQ's and the hardware and software that is using each one. Try to get your audio interface off any other IRQ's if possible by moving them to another PCI/PCIe slot if avaliable or ( if its a USB interface ) by moving the interface to another USB port and shutting down ( disable ) unused ones. Of course this may not be your problem either, but its a good place to start...YMMV

Steve H.
http://www.featherlightstudio.com/

http://www.featherlightstudio.com/studio

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Smart
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 4:20 PM
To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: (No Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:13:46 -0000

are you logged on as administrator?
Go to something like c:\users\AccountName where AccountName is
obviously the name of your user account. \AppData should be the first
folder listed.