[ddots-l] Re: Delta 1010 and monitoring

  • From: "Paul Erkens" <pje@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 00:41:42 +0100

Hi Johanna,

Do you have the jaws scripts that are available for the delta control panel? If you do, that will help you at least some.

The reason why you get signals in the wrong stereo position, is because for each fader, you also have a balance slider. So, if you start tabbing thru the items in the monitor mixer page of the delta control panel, then you will first meet two sliders for master volume. It is no problem to turn those 100% up, if your gear that amplifies the signal can handle it. But then, there are faders that will differ, depending on what model sound card you have, i.e. which of the delta's you actually bought.

As a rule of thumb, keep this in mind:
1. The first thing you will find for a given input into the mixer, is its volume slider. You can move it up and down, and jaws will report its state as you move it. 2. Next, you will find a horizontal slider, which is the panning for that input. Panning refers to the position in the stereo image, where you want that input to sound. It can either be hard left, hard right, in the middle, or somewhere in between all these. Unlike the volume fader, you can only move the pan fader horizontally, not vertically. Just like the volume fader, the pan slider too is announced in percentages as you change its position with your keyboard arrows.

Please realise that you have a number of mono inputs. If you use two mono inputs together, they form one stereo pair. One input is used for the left audio channel, the second input in the pair is used for the audio in your right stereo channel, or vice versa if you prefer. But if you want to use, say, inputs 1 and 2 as a stereo pair, you must pan the first input hard left, 0%, and the second input panned hard right, 100%.

3. Next, you will find a few check boxes that belong to the fader. The check boxes that belong to a fader, allways appear after the fader itself, if you tab around in the dialog box. For each input, no matter if it is a physical input or the wave device, you will see a solo check box. If it is off, then it's all right. But if you turn it on, then only that input will sound. All others won't. How loud that particular fader then sounds, obviously still depends on the position of its volume fader. In general, keep those solo buttons off, unchecked.

You will also find a mute check box, which basically does the opposite of soloing it. If you turn on the mute button, the sound for that input will be silenced, while all others won't. Again, keep those off.

Lastly, you will find a checkbox that says something like: stereo link. Now, if you turn that on, then moving the left volume slider of a stereo pair, will also move the right slider for the second input. If you want to cut down on the volume for a given input and you slide down its volume using the left input volume slider, the right one will also move down.

That's it. Hope this helps. It was long ago since I downloaded the jaws scripts for the delta panel, and I believe it's been quite a while since they've been updated. In fact, I do think I have the latest version here. If you want them, I can send them to you off list.

Paul.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Johanna Herranen" <jherrane@xxxxxx>