[ddots-l] Re: Delta 1010 and monitoring

  • From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:32:47 -0500

I don't know the delta cards, but, It sounds like the input lines are muted. On my card, there is a split in the signal path at the soundcard input. One path goes to the host software, and the other goes straight out the soundcard output line without any processing. The signal path to the software is processed(recorded), and if input monitoring is on, it is passed back out to the soundcard output line. If input monitoring is off, the signal path ends there.

Line input muting cuts the path that goes straight to the output lines, and only allows the path that goes into the software. So, if input muting is on, and input monitoring is off, both signal paths end before reaching the soundcard output line--thus no sound.

Check the cards mixer for something that looks like input mute. If they are muted unmute them. Then you should hear the input when monitoring is off as well as when its on--because both signal paths are open. One problem you'll encounter when you do this is "echoing". This happens when the two signal paths come together again and are summed at the soundcards output line. The processed signal lags behind the unprocessed signal a bit and gives this echoing effect.

I never use input monitoring because of the echo effect. Instead, I just open the input lines and listen to the raw unprocessed signal. You lose the ability to hear any effects you might have added, but that's ok with me. Another problem you might encounter when input monitoring, is latency. Mute your input lines, and turn input monitoring on, and you'll hear the processed signal unmuddied by echo, but ther'll be a slight lag in the time between what you sing, or play, and the time you hear it--drove me crazy and threw my rhythm & timing off. So now, I just stick to hearing the raw input signal and trust that its being recorded just fine without my having to hear it.
.

I look forward to any corrections from others on the list--That's my best understanding of it at the moment.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johanna Herranen" <jherrane@xxxxxx>