[softwarelist] Re: OvationPro and memory allocation

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:47:58 +0200

In message <4e45caeee6lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
          Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <5.2.1.1.0.20060713133458.0245c958@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    M.Bellamy <M.Bellamy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Could it be different settings for spell-checking or the undo buffer?
>
> Just tried changing the size of the undo buffer (it was 8K) to 256K and it
> made no difference - still flickering of 4K chunks.
>
> I guess there could be all manner of variables here, because it might even
> be one of the applets installed or something.

Yes, that is the most likely reason. I do not see any flicker after
normal keypresses either (OP 2.77, Aemulor not loaded, RISC OS 5.11)
but I have only got the standard set of applets installed:
!Arrange     D/WR    !ColSupp     D/WR    !Custom      D/WR
!Fill        D/WR    !Fluff       D/WR    !FontList    D/WR
!Grabber     D/WR    !Hints       D/WR    !Imposit     D/WR
!OArtWrks    D/WR    !OCharges    D/WR    !OEPS        D/WR
!OPCA        D/WR    !PagePal     D/WR    !PrePress    D/WR
!Quotes      D/WR    !Today       D/WR

Anyone who does not see any flicker should be able to easily see what
it would look like by selecting a few characters, pressing Ctrl-C to
copy them to the clipboard and then pressing Ctrl-V a few times. Each
Ctrl-V keypress causes the OP entry in the TaskManager to flicker. I
do not see that flicker with other keypresses though.

Finally, applications are at liberty to claim and release memory as
often as they wish. The OS should not get into trouble even when this
happens excessively. Considering the amount of work the OS has to do
to change the memory slot, it is not exactly a good idea for
applications to change their slot size too often but they are
perfectly allowed to do that.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx