[softwarelist] Re: Importing Impression files into OP

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:13:21 +0100

To summarise...

The original Impression documents were RISC OS folders or directories, their names started with a ! so that they could take advantage of the usual RISC OS !Application folder feature that lets a folder have an icon - just like programs or applications.

Later on, Impression moved to a single file format. I believe Impression will let you convert between these two formats. If you want to load an Impression single file format document on Windows then it should have extension .imp (or .bc5).

In passing, Ovation Pro for Windows has some support for filenames with comma extension e.g.

myfile,bc5

but I would try to get filenames in the correct Windows format

myfile.bc5

Impression folder documents contain many files. If you want to load such documents on Windows then all the contained files must have the correct extension. Those extensions are the RISC OS filetypes in hex - e.g.

!DocData.d87

Doing this by hand would be tedious, but there are smart rename tools available, so all you have to do is set up a script that converts whatever format your file transfer software leaves things on Windows.

You could probably even write a Windows .Bat file that would do the job.

I suppose I should have got a better grasp on what filenames RISC OS produces on Windows - but to me they always look a complete mess.

Handling various file formats is discussed on the OPW CD at:

http://www.davidpilling.info/cd/filters.html