[softwarelist] Re: Importing Impression files into OP

  • From: David Boddie <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 00:40:18 +0200

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:23:31 +0100, David Pilling wrote:

> > It may be possible to take the constituent parts of documents stored in
> > the old-style directory format and put them together to make a new-style
> > single file document.
> > There's a good chance that Impression itself wouldn't read these
> > reconstituted documents, but Ovation Pro might be able to.
>
> I suppose I could answer that by looking at the source code of the
> Impression filter. The two formats must be similar for me to have been able
> to load both using the same piece of code. However since you can load
> directory format documents already what would be the point turning them
> into files.

OK, I thought there was some problem with loading directory format documents
into the Windows version of Ovation Pro.

> If you want something to worry about... my filter only loads the latest
> (last) Impression file format. There are older formats.
>
> Given the way things went, about 4 years development during which the file
> format changed and then 16 years in which nothing happened, most stuff is
> in the last format.

I have a feeling that there are probably many documents in older formats
that aren't publically available now, but may need to be read at some point
in the future. Certainly, I found it difficult to find examples of Impression
Junior documents online.

> 5000 years hence are archaeologists going to pick through all this stuff
> the way they do through shopping lists written on cuniform clay tablets in
> 3000BC.

The messages in this mailing list or the documents themselves? ;-)

David