[softwarelist] Re: Importing Impression files into OP

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:52:21 +0100

Bruce Goatly wrote:
Clive Bonsall wrote:

Bruce Goatly wrote:

By 'folder' I meant (and I assume Dave did too) the original file
format, consisting of a pseudo-application (which looks like a normal
folder under Windows). I suspect we are in violent agreement here...

Ex oriente lux. But can't you convert them to the "newer" file format
before importing into OPW ... assuming, of course, you have an
appropriate version of Impression?

Indeed. However, I suspect we will inevitably need to cater for a situation in which Impression is no longer available to the user (hence requiring import of the files into OPW).

Hmmm ...? Programmers (even the very obliging Mr P.) can't be expected to provide import filters for every defunct file format -- it simply wouldn't be cost-effective. The alternative, perhaps, is to rely on the goodwill of members of the RiscOS community, as I had to do recently in order to access files on old 5.25" floppies. So, if Dave/anyone has documents in the original Impression file format they would like updating to the newer format, then I'm willing to try to do that for them ... within reason.
--
C.B.