[softwarelist] Re: DPScan + ARMini -> crash?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 14:19:50 +0200

In message <51ee02a8a8chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I can report is the following:

> Launching DPScan straight after boot, virtually nothing else running
> (Pinboard, Newicons, Recover display, BB_CMOS).

> DPScan crashes when sprite is saved to (a) main drive (b) Ramdisc (c)
> ShareFS. Crashes whether saveas icon is dragged to a random
> destination, or whether resaved over itself by clicking OK.

> After these crashes, and no reboot, several apps are launched (e.g.
> Zap, SparkFS, AppDock2). Now running DPScan and saving sprite - all
> is fine! It looks as if a particular area of physical RAM is being
> corrupted, and it depends where DPScan is located in actual memory
> for it to be stricken. What a nightmare.

I think that is a highly unlikely scenario. DPScan is always located
at the same logical address, no matter when it was started. It is hard
to image how memory corruption of a physical address could happen, and
if it did, its effects would be far more random. It would never affect
DPScan so reliably after boot on many machines. There is not enough
data to jump to any conclusions yet.

Martin