[CTS] Re: Linux?

  • From: Lynn <landerso@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:47:09 -0500

"Eric C. Vogel" wrote:

> How would you know if Telnet server is running under NT 4 Server Sp-6a
> (Small Business Server 4.5 (IIS 4, Exchange 5.5 SP 3 (OWA (Outlook Web
> Access)), MS Proxy 2, SQL 7 (Nothing using it, not loaded, Arcserve 6.5.X
> SP2)? I don't recall seeing anything under Services.

Just nmap the machine.  Either that, or try connecting with a telnet
client.  It's a rare case when NT has a telnet server running.  NT
doesn't generally have very good support for remote console access.

> I am not at work so I
> cannot check. Our E-mail is retrieved from the Outlook 2k client, not
> throught the Exchange extention.

So you're just using good, old-fashioned POP-3.

> Website is hosted externally. Our server
> runs IIS 4 for SBS tools, and our website, which has nothing just the
> default SBS page. With the proper URL, can access Exchange through the web
> browser, and 2 VPN ports. 2 users cannot access the server externally till
> they put passwords on their account. (There are only 4 of us. I am the only
> computer person there.)

I would put the machine behind a firewall.  NT is an EXTREMELY dangerous
OS to have on an externally accessible network.  nmap the machine,
determine which ports are used by services that have to be accessed
externally, block all others.  Especially ports used by
SMB(netbios-ssn).  Personally, I do not feel that NT is a sufficientally
robust OS for anything but the lightest of server duties.  It's really
more of a desktop OS.  It's very difficult to properly monitor an NT
machine, the logging system is abysmal, multi-user protection is
pathetic, and it's very difficult(if not impossible) to keep it from
using that bleeping SMB protocol.  Get a seperate firewall machine, if
you roll your own, setup a machine running OpenBSD UNIX.  Never trust an
NT machine any further than you can throw it.

List HowTo: http://questforcertification.com/cts/faq

http://questforcertification.com/cts/other_cts_lists.htm