[CTS] Linux

  • From: "Tee" <tchapman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:49:04 -0600

In all fairness... here is some Linux info also.  :o)
Tee

================================
Support Your Right To Arm Bears!!!!
================================

9) New Linux Version (Free, As Usual...)
As Microsoft digs itself deeper and deeper into trouble with its own best
customers, more and more Windows users are looking elsewhere for their next
OS:

  Fred, Just wanted to toot Mandrake's (Linux) horn a little. I downloaded
the ISO images for 8.1, burned them to CD, and was very impressed with the
installation. It found and configured everything except my sound card (a
cruddy AOpen Crystal chipset), including my USB mouse and  printer. No
problems!  Linux distributions have come a long way since my first Slackware
install (couldn't even get X running) in the mid-90's. I've even got my wife
and kiddos using it! Unfortunately, I still have to boot to Windows to play
most of my games, and the Linux partition is still more of a curiosity than
a primary platform, but as I find more software, I'll make the move. (Listen
up software companies!)

  Now to sneak over to my mom's house and steal back that old SB16 card I
put in her PC... Yours, DAV

Most Linux versions ("distributions," in Linux-speak) are available as free
downloads for people with fast connections and with the technical means to
get the download onto a CD.  For everyone else, retail CDs usually are
available for a fraction of the price of what Windows costs.

For example, you can download Mandrake 8.1 for free from
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3 , or order the standard 3-CD set
for $25 from http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/81/standard .

Linux still isn't quite as polished or newbie-friendly as Windows, but
anyone of intermediate skill or higher can usually get it going. If you
haven't taken a look yet, maybe it's time to start exploring.

Click to email this item to a friend
  http://www.langa.com/sendit2.htm

==============
Tina Chapman