[CTS] Re: DVD R+/- revisited

  • From: Madrachod@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:58:00 EST

I bought a Sony dvd+rw drive a while ago and have had a little trouble with
burning dvd's as for information rather than movies.  I had to save a lot of
stuff onto dvd's from the HD because I was having lots of problems with the HD
and was going to write zeros and start again.  I would format the dvd's and
copy stuff from the HD to the dvd's and it would work fine, but when I took the
dvd out and later put it back in to save more stuff to it, the stuff that I
saved to it before was now gone!!!  And the puter was telling me that the disc
was full at about 1 or 2 gigs.  The dvd's were 4.7 gig each.  I battled with
this for a LONG time and had to save stuff about a dozen times before it
actually
got saved.  This was about 3 years ago.
    A few days ago I put in a dvd with info on it that I just saved a few
months ago and it's still telling me that the disc is full even though it's
only
got a few gig on it, but, at least, it's stopped erasing the disc between
uses.  Is there some attribute to dvd's that causes them to finalize/finish
automatically when you go to take them out of the drive?  Or, if you don't
finalize
them yourself (I have no idea how to do that on the puter) they'll erase the
data?  I haven't had any of this trouble with cd-rw's at all.  Last week I
spent 8 sessions on at least two separate days saving MP3's to one cd and never
had any trouble with it at all.  Now, if I can just get it to play in my MP3
player....  It just keeps saying that it's reading the info on the disc, but
after quite a long time it never goes into play mode.

                            Dale