[bookport] Re: Suggestion for New Feature

  • From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:36:54 -0400

And guess what A P H's numero uno motivation is in designing features into
the Bookport!  Ease of use, nope; good feature set, nope; appeal, nope; it's
to make money, and they do that by doing the other things and doing them
well.  The more features they can add for which there is a good market, they
will sell more BookPorts, and that's our wonderful marketplace.  That's why
mainstream companies don't give much of a hoot about accessibility; aside
from Section 508, there's no money in it.  APH doesn't care about the
sacredness of the Bookport as a book reader only or the philosophy of purist
technology; they care about what features are wanted by blind people who
can't afford anything over $400, and in doing so, they will continue to keep
the BookPort the valuable versatile, and wonderful unit it is.  If there is
a cry for the note taker and it will fit in the firmware, voila, there it
is; the same for alarms, and whatever else the market wants.  To keep the
unit the way it is out of fear of function creep is just plain, well, not
thinking in a market driven fashion.

Don