[bookport] Re: New Bookport ideas

  • From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:15:08 -0500 (CDT)

What about keeping the keys the same size, but just moving them a touch closer together? My preference would be for much smaller keys much closer together, but I agree this would be a problem to people without the finger dexterity or precision.
Bruce

--
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he
gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12 NIV

Bruce Toews

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Russ & Valerie wrote:

I agree that smaller keys will be a challenge for some.

My aunt is using a BP, and she can just manage the buttons as she is a bit frail and her fingers not always steady.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, 23 April, 2006 11 21 Subject: [bookport] Re: New Bookport ideas

A BP with smaller keys might be okay, but I do wonder about the elderly or
 multi-handicapped user's ability to manipulate something that would enable
 design of the size you mention here--a cigarette pack. While I don't know
 this to have been the case when the original device was designed, the
 present keypad certainly looks as if this section of the potential market
 was considered. I know from experience and observation that many elderly
 users just can't cope very well with buttons the size most of us find
 usable. Since NLS, from what I gather, isn't planning to produce a truly
 portable player when they move to digital Talking Books, I can imagine APH
 wanting to fill this gap, provided they can work with NLS to get the
 necessary permissions and work out the technology, so these folks would
 absolutely have to be taken into account in any design considerations.

 I think that on balance, I also like the idea of moving to SD cards from
 CompactFlash, particularly if industry forecasts indicate that even
 higher-capacity SD cards may be forthcoming in the future and if NLS
 decides
 to move in that direction. Right now, 4 gig is the largest available size
 and if APH succeeds in removing all card size limitations, I can see that
 some folks may very well want to buy even larger-capacity cards. My sole
 concern about using SD cards is their relative fragility when compared to
 CompactFlash--I just see them as being too easy to damage or lose.
 CompactFlash is certainly going to continue to be around for a long, long
 time, given the number of devices that are dependent on them, but using SD
 would certainly aid in designing a smaller player.

 ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Tanner"
 <david-tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>