[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 11:23:02 -0400

I don't know of any way to get free books without leaving the house, but there are some cheap sources. There is PaperbackSwap.com for example and there is ThriftBooks.com. You can even get some pretty cheap ones at Amazon. A lot of books on sale there from third party sellers that are low in sales rank sell for a penny apiece. Now that does not mean that you can really get them for one cent. The shipping cost is $3.99, so the actual cost is four dollars. Recently I was on a site that I normally do not frequent, Craig's List, to place an ad for someone else and as long as I was there I went browsing the ads and one of the first ads under the books category was a lot of several hundred books. The price for the whole lot was kind of high, but when that price was divided by the number of books it was really cheap per book. There were also some single books for sale at varying prices. I only suggest Craig's list as something to look at, not a guarantee of cheap books. For that matter, there is eBay. In the books category there is the sub category of wholesale lots. On a per book basis these books can be just a few cents apiece too. The problem with buying these bulk lots, though, is that you have to take the whole lot all at once even if you don't want all of them and quite a few are likely to already be in the Bookshare collection. I would advise perusing the titles in the entire lot and comparing them to the Bookshare collection and deciding if the ones that might not be in the collection are worth buying the entire lot. There are other sources around the web too that I don't remember the URL's for like Book Mooch and some others that I don't even remember the names for. You might want to google around for some key phrases that might lead you to books like "free books" or "trade in your books" or whatever you can think of and then examining what you come up with that might be promising. If you find any really good sources you might want to report it here too. Another possibility is to find the title of a book that you want to scan and then look for that. OpenLibrary.org purports to be trying to create a page for every book that has ever been published in all of history. Well, they have a long way to go, but they do have tens of millions listed. That would be a good place to browse for books that no one has ever heard of. They often have links on there book pages that you can click to find out what libraries or even on line booksellers might have the book too. But just googling the title might lead you to places on line from which you can acquire the book. There is no guarantee that it will be cheap or free, but you just might find some source from which it is.

On 7/26/2012 8:05 AM, Regina Alvarado wrote:
I am really considering trying to scan.  I have only scanned a couple of
times.  Can I scan in Word properly? Do libraries send out books to the
house? I will ask my sister-in-law to keep an eye out for old books, but if
we buy them before I check, that will be difficult too.  I am totally blind
and would need to pay ADA to get to a library or even to a bookshop.  Any
other ideas on how to procure books without the wonderful liberty of a car?
Rambling I know.  I do not even know if we have the room for me to scan
here, but I know we need scanners, and I feel the need to step up! Won't be
as good as Evan, Larry, Mary, et al., but I sure can try!
Reggie