[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning:

  • From: Kelly Pierce <kkellyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:02:10 -0600

I’m using an Epson 1640 on windows XP Pro and this scanner has Windows
7 drivers available.  The scanner hardware doesn’t seem as important
for getting good results as is adjusting the settings.  I scan at 400
dots per inch.  This improves scanning results considerably.  I also
do some test scans on the book I am scanning.  I was getting fair but
not my usually excellent results on a book I was scanning today when I
learned that it was printed on post-consumer recycled paper.  This
often means the pages are light gray rather than white.  I lightened
the contrast and the scanning results were excellent.

Setting a high DPI and fine-tuning the contrast settings of your
software often yields excellent scans for me.  This guidance isn’t in
the volunteer manual, but it should be.

Kelly