[bksvol-discuss] Re: let disabled people know they can submit without being members

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:43:42 -0400

I like that.  I also like

our shared library
or
the library I always wanted

Thanks for writing the article. Please stress that the creation of the library is something we have all done together. We have built the collection together one book at a time. This makes the quality occasionally spotty. Sometimes quality varies. So does content.

We are like those monasteries where dedicated people (men and yes women) worked as scribes so that books became available to more people.

Books are shared when they are precious and scarce. For blind people books have often been scarce or limited by factors outside of our individual control. Bookshare has changed that reality for me.

You can quote any of this in your article if you like.

Do ask folks to be patient as we strive to improve all aspects of bookshare together.

Please also remind them that nonmembers can search for books. This is useful to do before someone scans a book. Just think of becoming a member because you want that particular book and it is available on bookshare so you do not have to buy the print copy and scan the book!

E.