[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requirements for acceptance -- the bottom line

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:47:32 -0500

Since validation was suppose to be a fairly routine process, involving some
routine checking of copyright, author, completeness of book and not much more,
I can understand why the credit for submitting a scan is
higher than that for validation.  Alas, as we've discussed, a lot of validators
put in tens of hours, which is more time than it takes to scan even the longest
book. So there is no simple answer. Certainly, when a submitter
of a title does the clean up they can do to make the text free from pattern
errors and blocks of junk, they've earned that higher credit imho, since a
validator who gets that text isn't going to have to do very much work.
I've validated things in 10 minutes when they have been cleaned up nicely
before submission.  that certainly wouldn't be worth more or as much as the
time it took the submitter of the text to scan and clean it and get
it into such good shape that the validation process was a slam dunk.
Mary