[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requirements for acceptance -- the bottom line

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:11:44 -0400

Elizabeth,

You do point out some significant scanning areas that need to be improved.
Many of the errors you  outlined are caused by either high or low brightness
settings.  If the submitters' OCR program provides a gray-scale setting, it
should be used as much as possible--especially when It comes to K1K 8.01.
Most of these problems are removed by that setting.  The optimized settings
should be tried and compared with gray-scale with 400 DPI.  In most
instances, you will find that the gray-scale setting wins.  My second
suggestion would be  to ensure that the scanner scan at least 10 random
pages of the book in question and check the quality.  Most of the problems
that are likely to occur will be displayed in these pages.  Setting
adjustments can be made if there are predominant problems of a certain kind.
Please see Guido's messages on this point as well.  He has a wealth of
best-practice information that can elp as well.

Pratik

Pratik Patel
Managing Director
CUNYAssistive Technology Services