[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requirements for acceptance -- the bottom line

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:00:14 -0500

Silvara,
I certainly hope you won't stop giving that extra bit of time to make the
validated books better. Bookshare is a community, which includes the few paid
staff folks and all the rest of us members and volunteers. The end
result, what is available for download, pretty well depends on us as a group. I
know, for instance, even though mangled headers aren't  suppose to be a big
deal, I personally find them extremely distracting when
reading. So when I submit something, or validate something, I take some time to
try to ensure that they are not present in the finished product. One reason I
find validation frustrating is that its not always easy to find
and get rid of stuff like that, especially in cases when pagination has gotten
messed up, as in some txt files, or when K1000 or Ms Word or whatever other
thing has mangled an rtf file. My hat is definitely off to the
people who have the patience to take the time to turn those files into
enjoyably readable books. In an ideal world, validators would never have to
worry about anything like that, because submitters will have dealt with
the issues before they upload the book.
Mary