[bksvol-discuss] Re: Requirements for acceptance -- the bottom line

  • From: "Richard Ely" <ely.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:03:08 -0400

Ah,
There in lies the rub. That old #6. One readers notion of readable is another's
of execrable. Much
has to do with two things, how badly do you want to read the text and how many
errors are you
willing to accept. It is wonderful seeing the care and concern that most on
this list give to a text
they are submitting or approving. As a teacher with students who use these
books, I wish they were
all letter perfect. I think that such will be the case someday. For now, it
seems we must accept a
less than ideal, but only three years ago, none of this awful problem even
existed. No books, no
problem!

What does seem to be the case is the need for more volunteers to help in
validating books. In the
days before electronic Braille production, there were thousands of volunteers
across the country who
had passed their transcribers certification and who banged away at their
Perkins braillers at home
cranking out books. Seems that there are many more computer literate retirees
then ever. They do not
need to learn the Braille code to make books available. For the most part, all
they need is the
skills that many already have, proof reading and word processing. What we need
to do is to find
better ways to let people know what they might do in a few hours each week at
their own computers. I
am giving thought to donating the computer I am composing on to our local
library for the specific
task of providing a computer to volunteers in our little town to use to
validate books. If Deb the
librarian agrees, I hope to start doing regular small group classes on how to
validate. What if
there were say 500 other libraries offering something similar. At the rate of
one book per day, five
days per week each library would validate 260 books. At capacity, such an
effort could validate
130,000 books per year. That might go a long way in cleaning up that backlog of
texts awaiting
valedation.

Rather than picking the nits of weather or not a submitted book is good enough
to accept, let's work
at increasing the numbers of validators, and the access points they need to do
validation.
Rick