[bksvol-discuss] Re: Okay, nearly there...

  • From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:35:10 -0600

It is a fair and reasonable question that I struggled with for some time
myself.  Actually, my type of dyslexia is different than most people are
familiar with, and by itself is not severe enough to qualify.  I actually
told the OT I thought I should  not qualify, but she read the regs,
performed several hand tests and felt it was a verifiable and justifiable
qualification.  Especially since both of my conditions are progressive and I
have some sensory neuropathy.

I felt guilty for a while until I tried to pre-read a hard cover book I will
be proofing and I could not read more than four pages every couple of hours
due to hand and wrist pain from holding it.  I did not realize I had all but
quit reading until I started proofing and found it so enjoyable!

It is not a determination I undertook lightly and tried to let the OT know I
would certainly understand if she felt I did not meet the criterion since I
was so unsure myself.

Valerie