[bksvol-discuss] Re: Okay, nearly there...

  • From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:51:34 -0600

Actually, flopping books takes far less manipulation for me than holding a
book.  I have so little grip in my hands that I cannot hold a pencil the
standard way.  I could use a book holder and page turner, but they are also
considered AT and run $3-7000, depending on features and sizes of books they
handle.  Turning single pages is a problem for me either way and I often
need to use a tool to separate pages.   I only scan a couple of pages at a
time and my hands cannot hang on to anything for more than a few seconds in
a fixed position.  I also have dyslexia, although my compensatory strategies
work very well unless I am quite fatigued.

In short, reading a book a page at a time with lengthy breaks does not make
for fluid reading, but scanning at a slow pace does not interrupt any work
process, but reading on screen can then be done for hours if desired.
Holding a book aggravates my carpal tunnel and RA, but mixing activities and
scanning does not seem to.  I prefer proofing, though, since I can do it
faster.  Still, since I have access to so many books and Nichole has such
desire for books, I would be doing it regardless to get more books to her.

I may not always be able to scan, but I will do it as time and energy/health
permit, at a manageable pace, while I can.

Hope that makes sense.

Valerie